Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Thank you, NYC...for kicking me in the nuts.

(Disclaimer, if you've already read my Facebook post this morning, you might just want to pass on this one, unless you want the full story, unabridged.  (It's a bit funnier!))

Amanda and I were on our way home on my birthday from dinner and drinks when I notice a ticket on the windshield of our car.  I grabbed it off the windshield and took a look.  It was a citation for parking in a restricted construction zone.

Okay, so yes, they are working on the train trestle across the street from my apartment.  And yes, they often block off a lot of street side parking because of said construction.  They usually throw out a bunch of orange barrels where they will be blocking parking and put out signs on when they will need that street cleared.  That said, I actually moved my car to the spot where I got the ticket because I was in one of the construction spots originally.  There were three other cars along with mine that were wrongly ticketed.  I took pictures of everything around my car to prove that there were no signs anywhere regarding parking in those places.

I then went online to dispute the ticket and found out that I had to wait a week before the ticket processed into the system!  But, I had to dispute the ticket within 30 days of getting it or I would get a late fee.  Not really that big of a deal, but when a quarter of your time is taken away from you, that's some bullshit!

After much cussing and realizing I could do nothing, I let it go.  I will revisit in a week.

Then this morning I got up to let Abigail and Red out.  As I stood there with two leashes in my hand and urine running down the sidewalk, I looked up to realize my car wasn't where I parked it.  See, I moved my car the previous day after receiving the ticket so I wouldn't get another one.  I parked it right past a section that was barreled off for construction...apparently that wasn't a good place either, even though there was nothing telling me not to park there!

After picking up a small mound of poop off of the sidewalk, I returned to my apartment...pissed as fuck!!  After a stomping rant full of expletives, I went online to find out where my car had gone.  I went on the NYC.gov site and put my plate number in...nothing.  I tried again...nothing.  So I called and they put it into the system...nothing.  I told them about the construction and they said it was possible they "relocated" my vehicle.

Tangent:  WHAT THE FUCK!!??  Back where I'm from, if a tow truck picks up your car, you have to pay dearly to get it back!  Even if you catch them before they drive away, you have to pay!  I have NEVER heard of a tow truck relocating a vehicle to a spot that is more convenient to the people who had it towed.

Okay, I'm back now.  I was told to contact the NYPD precinct that would have been responsible for the tow.  The woman was nice enough to connect me.  Nobody answered, so I went out on foot to walk a few blocks to see if I could find it.  I walked down to 2nd Ave, cut across to 11th Street, back up to 4th Ave and back down 10th Street to my apartment...nothing.

I went back upstairs and tried calling the precinct directly.  They looked it up in the system and, yup, you guessed it...nothing!  I explained that it was towed because of construction and she told me they may have relocated it.  Okay, where would they have relocated it to?  NOTHING!!  I was actually told to walk around and look for it!!  WHAT THE FUCK!!??

So I went back out on foot.  I covered several more blocks before returning to my street...nothing.  I decided to ask one of the construction workers who was directing traffic.  He tells me they towed it to the Lowe's Home Improvement a few blocks from my place.  Another guy walked up and asked where I had parked it.  After I told him, he tried telling me there were signs out that told me not to park there.  I told him I was parked past those signs and in my best I'm-really-pissed-off-don't-fuck-with-me-pseudo-Brooklyn voice I said, "I'm not stupid, I know where to park!"  Then I walked off, somewhat defeated and very hopeful, in the direction of Lowe's.

And I found the car.  Then I ended up looping block to block in search of a parking space.  I found one a half-hour later.  So after 2+ hours of that bullshit, I got to go home, eat breakfast, take a shower and then a nap.  And as I complain about this ordeal, Amanda had to go to work and deal with 8+ hours of bullshit!

With Love,

Your NYC Scrub.

1 comment: